Spicy Marinated Skirt Steak
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 2 1/4 lbs skirt steak (2 steaks), each halved crosswise – much easier to handle when cut in half
- Special equipment: a charcoal grill and a bag of hardwood charcoal, or a gas grill
- Mince garlic and mash with kosher salt. Stir together spices in a bowl, then add in garlic and oil until a paste forms. Pat steak dry, then rub with paste. Marinate steak in a sealed plastic bag, chilled, at least 6 hours.
- Bring steak to room temperature, about 30 minutes, and prepare grill for cooking. Charcoal is hot when you can hold your hand 5 inches over rack for 1 to 2 seconds. If using a gas grill, preheat burners on high, covered, 10 minutes, then reduce heat to medium high.
- Grill steak on lightly oiled grill rack, uncovered, turning over once, 4 to 6 minutes total for medium-rare. Cut steak across grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- (If necessary, steak can be grilled in batches in a hot lightly oiled well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately high heat. Steaks may have to be quartered instead of halved to fit in pan.)
Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley