Roast Beef With Caper Sauce
- 1 (3lb) bottom-round beef rump roast
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1/2 cup mild olive oil
- 1 T lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons drained capers (in brine), plus 2 tablespoons brine
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 500°F.
- Pat roast dry and sprinkle all over with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Roast, fat side up, in a roasting pan 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and continue to roast until instant read thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 120°F, 35 to 45 minutes more. Transfer roast to a cutting board and let stand, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- While roast stands, stir together remaining ingredients, a slightly rounded 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and a pinch of salt.
- Thinly slice meat across the grain and serve with sauce.
Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley