Marcelle’s Venison Pie
For the Pie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/3 pounds of lamb knuckles
- 8 pounds shoulder of venison
- 32 ounces of water
- 1 onion, peeled, kept whole
- 14 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Sauce
- 2 onions, well chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8-9 ounces Cabernet s., to taste
- 4 ½ ounces red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons potato or corn flour
- 1 puff-pastry roll to cover the dish
- 1 egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 385°F.
In a large, heavy-based saucepan with a tight fitting lid, heat the olive oil and brown the lamb knuckles. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Then brown the venison shoulder and remove, set aside. Pour off any remaining oil.
Place the following in the saucepan – the water, the onion studded with 10 of the cloves, the bay leaves, the coriander and peppercorns in a small muslin bag as bouquet garni, and salt. Bring to a boil.
Add the browned meats, cover with the lid and turn down the heat to low simmer. Simmer until meat is tender and begins to fall off the bones, about 3 to 4 hours. Remove from heat and cool completely. Remove the meat/bones; flake the meat off, set aside, and reserve the remaining liquid gravy.
Yield: Serves 8