Braised Beef Short Ribs With Roasted Beets And Yokon Gold Potatoes
- 4 pounds short ribs, seasoned generously with salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 4 small beets cut into quarters
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large, heavy skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, add beef ribs and brown on all sides. Remove from the skillet and set the ribs in a baking dish, set aside.
- Add the onion, celery, tomatoes, garlic, brown sugar and broth to the skillet then simmer 5 minutes. Pour the broth mixture over the ribs. Cover and braise in the preheated oven for ninety minutes, turning once.
- After you have turned the ribs, mix the beets in a medium bowl with one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Place the beets on a baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes.
- Once you’ve popped the beets in the oven, mix the potatoes in a medium bowl with one tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Divide ribs and roasted vegetables evenly into four plates and drizzle with pan juices.
Cabernet Sauvignon, Clone 6, Rutherford