CRAB CAKES MARYLAND
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice; wedges for garnish
- 1 1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced chives
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head Bibb lettuce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Whisk first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add crab; fold to blend. Stir in 3/4 cup panko, chives, salt, and pepper. Divide into 6 equal portions. Form each into 1″-thick patties. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- Line a platter with lettuce leaves.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place remaining 1/2 cup panko on a plate. Coat cakes with panko. Fry until golden brown and crisp, 3-4 minutes per side. Arrange atop lettuce; serve with lemon wedges.
Sauvignon Blanc, Lake County, California