PAN SEARED DAY BOAT SCALLOPS WITH COCONUT-LEMONGRASS SAUCE
- 12 Day boat scallops
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 stalks lemongrass (no outer leaves, bottom halves only)
- 1 jalapeno, deveined and deseeded, diced
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, not “low fat”
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup each, basil and cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 cups cooked Basmati rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour yourself a glass of the Bell Sauvignon Blanc and enjoy while you are cooking. (A very important step to a delicious outcome.)
- Dry off the scallops with a paper towel. Remove the little muscle on the side of the scallops and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a sauce pan combine lime zest and juice, lemongrass, jalapeno, coconut milk and brown sugar. Heat to a boil stirring occasionally, and reduce the sauce by half.
- While the sauce reduces, pour the grape seed oil into the skillet and heat over medium-high until hot. Carefully add scallops; they might splatter oil. Sear the scallops, about a minute on each side. Take them out and place on a paper towel lined plate before they are cooked through.
- Once the sauce is reduced, remove the pan from heat and add in the scallops to briefly re-warm them before serving. (Delicate scallops cook very quickly – do not overcook. They should be translucent inside.)
- Serve alongside your favorite steamed vegetable and cooked rice. Top with a toss of the chopped herbs. The scent is divine.
Our lovely Bell Sauvignon Blanc complements this dish perfectly!
Regina Pelk, Tasting Room Host, Bell Wine Cellars
Sauvignon Blanc, Lake County, California