MUSSELS IN SAFFRON AND WHITE WINE BROTH
- 2 tsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp half and half
- 2 1/2 tsp saffron threads
- 1 cup clam juice
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tomatoes, seeded, and chopped
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 1/2 tbsp chives, chopped
- Melt the butter in a large pot, then add the garlic. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the wine, half and half, and saffron; simmer for 5 minutes. Add the clam juice, scallions, tomato, and lemon juice, scallions, tomato, and lemon juice; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the mussels, cover, and stream until they are open, about 5-7 minutes. Shake the pot, holding down the lid with a kitchen towel, to redistribute the mussels. Discard any mussels that do not open. Divide the mussels into eight bowls; distribute the broth equally among the bowls, and top each with fresh chives.
Chardonnay, Yountville, Napa Valley