LAMB SHANKS WITH CHUTNEY
- 4 lean, meaty lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can of diced San Marzano tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 can low sodium beef consomme’ (11 oz)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup mango chutney
Plus additional chutney to taste at serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown shanks well in oil for 5 – 7 minutes, turning several times, in a heavy, large pan over medium high heat. Transfer browned shanks to 3-quart Dutch oven.
- In a blender, place tomatoes, curry, ginger, consomme, garlic, onion and chutney on low speed until well mixed. Pour mixture over shanks. Cover and bake 2 hours.
- Taste sauce and adjust seasoning if necessary. Refrigerate if not serving immediately.
- Re-warm and serve with rice, dropping an additional spoon of chutney on each shank.
Syrah, Block 6, Canterbury Vineyard, Sierra Foothills