- 2 eggplants, peeled, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- Olive oil to coat eggplant slices
Place the oiled slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees, turning once, until they are browned on both sides, about 25 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion and 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 (29 ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon each of dried basil and oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces of mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmegiano Reggiano
- In a non-stick sauté pan, heat the oil and add the onion, cooking until soft and golden. Add the garlic and cook briefly, then add the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, sugar and pepper. Mix well, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, then set aside.
- In a 9 X 13 glass dish, arrange the eggplant as a bottom layer. Add a layer of the sliced mozzarella, and top with the sauce, spreading the shredded Parmegiano Reggiano on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until browned and let it rest ten minutes before cutting and serving.