HERB-MARINATED BRAISED LAMB SHANKS
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
- 1 tbsp each chopped fresh thyme and rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2-4 lamb shanks (1 to 1 1/4 lb each)
- 6 cups chicken stock or low-salt chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut lengthwise and then cut into 2 inch segments
- 1 lb red-skinned potatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- In a bowl the add herbs, spices and salt. Mix in 1/4 cup olive oil. Add lamb shanks, rub oil all over and cover. Marinate 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in heavy large oven-proof pot over high heat. Place lamb shanks in heated pan. Discard remaining marinade. Cook lamb shanks until brown on all sides, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add stock and garlic; bring to boil, cover and transfer to oven. Cook 1 hour; remove from oven and turn lamb shanks over. Cover and continue cooking until lamb is tender, about 45 minutes longer.
- Bring liquid in pot to simmer over medium heat. Add carrots; simmer 10 minutes. Add potatoes to liquid and simmer 5 minutes longer. Add tomatoes and zucchini to liquid and simmer until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to platter with lamb. Spoon off fat from braising liquid, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- Heat reserved fat in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour; stir 2 minutes. Whisk in tomato paste and 1 cup of the braising liquid. Add back into the pot with the rest of the braising liquid. Boil for a couple minutes until slightly thickened. Add back the vegetables and the lamb shanks. If you want, use a couple forks to break away the lamb meat from the bones. Discard the bones.
Syrah, Block 6, Canterbury Vineyard, Sierra Foothills